Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Writing Progress

I had done two research projects in Beirut two years ago: one focused on a community literacy program I studied and one focused on a public memorial as a complicated and troubling symbol of community engagement.  I've given a few conference presentations about both projects, but I'm happy to say that both have become article manuscripts, one submitted to a journal and one for an edited collection my friend/colleague here in Sharjah is editing.  It took the sabbatical for me to tune out other things, compiled and synthesize versions I've given at conferences, rewrite, write, write some more, and get them both sent off.  Now I wait.

Likewise, a long-gestating project about empathy and the teaching of writing had resulted in a revise-and resubmit.  The reviewer comments sat in my inbox and I did some work on the article, but, there too, it took sabbatical to FOCUS on the damn thing.  Sent it off five minutes ago.  Now I wait.

And turn my writing attention toward two projects: a wholly new project looking at Frerian teaching methods in Middle-Eastern contexts, and the collaborative Beirut-Dearborn work.  I want to devote my energies to these two projects, but had to get the other stuff put to bed (for now) first.  Only teaching one class this term is a privilege I don't want to squander.

1 comment: